Tutorial: How I Turned My Kate Spade Agenda in to a Kindle Case

I have a weakness for Kate Spade agendas. They get me every time with their whimsical vintage covers and the life mottos before every month. My current agenda finishes this month and my clever bestie gave me a birthday gift certificate for new ones that will keep me organized and scheduled for the next 15 months. The planner in the foreground is for all book blog related dates and the one in the background is for personal/professional appointments. Cute, no?

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset

I just couldn’t bring myself to part with my previous agenda and that set my DIY loving brain to humming. I have wanted to change my Kindle case for ages but they are just so dang expensive and, frankly, I couldn’t find one cute enough to suit me. *hangs head* Yes, I still judge electronic books by their cover, even if they all share the same one. I did a quick Google search and inspiration struck. Here’s how I transformed my “Reading Glasses” Kate Spade agenda in to a Kindle case using just a few tools and brute force.

Step 1: Collect your old agenda, old Kindle case, scissors, stitch ripper, glue gun, and chalk paint (optional). Make sure that the measurement of your agenda and Kindle case are compatible. My Kindle case was slightly smaller but it still worked for my purposes.

IMG_9275IMG_9281

Step 2: Disassemble your agenda by cutting along the inner edges of the spine and lift out the spiral and attached papers. This will keep your schedule intact in case you need to keep it on file.

IMG_9276 IMG_9278

Step 3: My Kindle cover had a faux leather casing that I needed to remove because it wouldn’t adhere well to the cardboard of the agenda. With a stitch ripper, scissors and your biceps, tear away the front covering without compromising the integrity of the inside cover (the part that will protect your Kindle from scratches).

IMG_9282 IMG_9284 IMG_9285

Step 4: Do any necessary repair work to reinforce the structural integrity of your Kindle case. My case (which is only two years old) was in serious disrepair. Honestly makes me think twice bout purchasing another case from a big box store. I used hot glue to fix any damage or fragile sections.

IMG_9286 IMG_9287

Step 5: Position and trace the placement of the Kindle case. This will help you to keep it centred while you are gluing.

IMG_9288

Step 6: Begin gluing with your hot glue gun. Make sure to keep checking that your case can close and you don’t glue down any bending seams. I made this little boo-boo but fixed it quickly with an exacto-knife down the left-hand seam. Press down firmly to ensure that the two pieces are completely adhered to one another.

IMG_9289 IMG_9292 IMG_9293

Step 7: Slide in your Kindle and make sure that there aren’t any loose edges and that it closes properly.

IMG_9299

Step 8: This step is completely optional. A label or chalkboard sticker  have been easier, but I had some left over chalkpaint from a previous DIY project. Tape your edges with just regular ‘ole scotch tape and then whack on two coats of paint allowing time to dry between each coat. A well positioned fan speeds up this process.

IMG_9295 IMG_9297

Voila! The finished product. From start to finish this took about 45 minutes. Now I have a case I can stomach to look at a little longer and I am proud to display on my desktop.

IMG_9300 IMG_9302

This was very much an impromptu and unplanned post so my apologies for the blurry iPhone images. If you choose to do a similar DIY or have a favourite project to share, feel free to post a link below.

Comments

  1. says

    Awesome! Ever since I’ve discovered Pinterest I’ve become a DIY addict. The Internet is definitely the place to go if you need a little inspiration. :-)

I love to hear your thoughts!