Top 12 Reads of 2012

This is always the most difficult post for me write in a year! I agonize for a week over which books to include and can’t help but feel like I am snubbing some of my favourite reads.  In actuality, any book that I have rated between a 9-10 all year merits to be on this list but that would take some of the fun out of the top lists. Suffice to say, these are books that have resonated with me profoundly and impressed me with the calibre of writing, character and plot development, and provocative message.

BestReads2012

In alphabetical order:

1. Against the Tide by Elizabeth Camden
  2. Love’s Reckoning (The Ballantyne Legacy #1) by Laura Frantz
  3. Wildflowers from Winter by Katie Ganshert
  4. The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck
  5. Unending Devotion by Jody Hedlund
  6. The Breath of Dawn (A Rush of Wings #3) by Kristen Heitzmann
  7. Wings of Glass by Gina Holmes
  8. Trinity: Military War Dog (A Breed Apart #1) by Ronie Kendig
  9. Love at the Speed of Email by Lisa McKay
  10. The Messenger by Siri Mitchell
  11. The Choice by Robert Whitlow
  12. My Stubborn Heart by Becky Wade

If you have a favourites post on your blog, link it below so I can add to my ever growing ‘Must Reads’ list. There are already so many books that have jumped to the top of my 2013 TBR pile after reading some of your posts :)

Happy New Year to you all and God bless you and your families in 2013!

Comments

1. says

As always, a fabulous list and one with many of my favs! I loved Rachel’s, Siri’s & Elizabeth’s too :) Totally relate to always feeling like we have left off some amazing reads ~ sigh :)

Here’s to a year of more brilliant stories, Lydia xo

2. says

I just wrapped one of Siri’s older books, and now I’m itching to read The Messenger…not to mention her next book, Unrivaled! She truly is one of the best in historical fiction. :)

Also happy to see My Stubborn Heart on so many favorites lists, too. I was VERY surprised at how much I enjoyed that one!

Here’s to more great reads in 2013!

• says

Siri’s earlier books are amazing but her newer historicals are exceptional!! She knows how immerse a reader in to history so that it feels like a living and breathing experience. I was so pleasantly surprised with My Stubborn Heart. Can’t wait to see what Becky Wade comes up with next!

3. says

I love your list! I adored The Wedding Dress, My Stubborn Heart and Wildflowers. Those contemporary books are some of THE best I’ve read ever! I can’t wait to read what comes next from those ladies. Thanks for sharing!

xoxo,
    Renee C.

• says

before this year I had hit a real lull with my contemporary reading and was so thrilled to see authors raising the stakes again this year.

4. Ganise says

Read: Against the Tide, Unending Devotion, My Stubborn Heart and I agree that they’re some of the best of 2012.
    To Read: Wildflowers From Winter.

LOVE your blog’s design, by the way.
    Happy New Year, Lydia! Thank you for sharing your list. :-)

• says

Thanks so much Ganise. I redesigned the whole site over the summer and it was a labour of love. Frustrating for sure at times but I’m happy with the final product. Happy New Year to you too :)

5. says

Thanks for including Love At The Speed Of Email! What a fun way to start the morning over here in Laos seeing that title on your list. Hope January’s started off well for you.

6. says

What a chic looking blog, Lydia! I’m honored to see My Stubborn Heart listed as one of your Top Reads of 2012. Thank you. What an encouragement!

I was heartened to read Renee C’s comment about the strength of several of the CBA’s contemporary novels this past year. I’m pulling for contemporary romance in a market dominated by historical, Amish, and or suspense fiction. It’s my sense that there *is* a readership out there for this type and style of book. The readership might be comprised of a slightly different demographic, but I do think/hope/pray it exists. :) It’s up to us – the authors – to grow this niche by striving to write the very best books that we can.

Happy New Year! Becky

7. says

Great list, Lydia! I always enjoy seeing what others have read and it gives us tips on what to put on our TBR that we missed!! Yay for another year of reading ahead, I really need to get my hands on some of these. :)

I love to hear your thoughts!