I’m a shallow book reader. If a book doesn’t look aesthetically pleasing, I am not as eager to pick it up. Sad, but true. Which is why finding a cover for my Kindle was such an unnecessarily monumental decision for me. I love my new Kindle, in spite of just nine months ago stating that I couldn’t take the plunge because I would miss the multi-sensory reading experience. Unfortunately, I don’t find my Kindle particularly….pretty. Even now as I type this, I cringe at how superficial that sounds, but sometimes the truth hurts.
Thus, I needed a Kindle cover for the practicality of safe travelling and the vanity of my reader sensibilities. Earlier this month I blogged about a few covers that had caught my eye and there was one I just couldn’t get out of my mind. Every cover I considered was fatally compared to this product and never measured up. So I bought it. And I love it.
What Is It: BookBook for iPad by Twelve South
Where To Buy It: http://twelvesouth.com/products/bookbook_ipad/
Why Do I Love It:
1) Yes, this cover is designed for an iPad but it would work perfectly for a Kindle DX. I was initially worried that my Kindle 3G would flop around inside but after I did the shake test, it didn’t move at all. If I lay my Kindle horizontally I can also fit my notepad beside it.
2) The structure is solid, but still extremely light-weight. The hardback cover and durable corners will withstand any bumps, drops, slams, and whacks (very important for accident prone people like myself). The buttery smooth velvet interior will protect my Kindle body and screen from scratches.
3) All covers are hand-distressed so that each BookBook looks uniquely aged. I love all things vintage (the reason why I hunt through used book stores), so this was a huge selling point for me.
4) Extremely fast international shipping.
1) I don’t use the stand feature. Maybe if I had an iPad I would find that feature more useful, but I use this cover just for transport. Not a negative element, but a moot point in my book (pun intended). The string gets in my way so I use it as an extra measure to secure my Kindle.